Thursday, November 27, 2008

Call your Mother

Today is Thanksgiving day and I've been somewhat pensive. My lovely bride and I are at home alone as the offspring have other commitments, we have a lovely dinner planned for tonight and will be having turkey on Saturday so it's okay. But here's some of my thinking today.

I am so thankful for the 40 years I have been married to Brenda, she is a saint and I don't know any man that could be happier. She brought two lovely children into the world who have given us great happiness, not the least of which is our grandchildren.

My father died a little over 15 years ago, at what I thought was much too young an age, he died at the same age as his father which was in 1965 at the age of 69. When my grandfather died I thought he was ancient, when my father died I thought he was young. As I prepare to enter my 6th decade on this planet it is amazing how you look at age. It is a truism that youth is wasted on the young and experience comes from more than years. But having children is hereditary, if your parents didn't have any, you won't either.

My mother lives about 500 miles from me, I moved several years ago and enjoy the area of Texas where I now reside. I don't get to see her as much as I should, I try to go see her every other year. This year I made that drive twice, but not for good reasons.  My mother does not have a computer and at 80 I don't suspect she will. It would be nice to send her photos of the grandkids and an occasion note but she is technologically challenged and I doubt she will ever read any of my blogs. 

I do call her almost every weekend. Something I started doing because of my father-in-law. He used to call his mother every weekend and she died at 93 counting on his calls every weekend. He taught me a lesson by example. I have heard from my siblings that my mother looks forward to my calls and tells them not to bother her on Sunday morning at 9 as I will call. It's not easy talking to an 80 year old woman that doesn't have the same interests that I do, but she is my mother and cares very much about me, as I do about her, so we get through the hour.

It is important as you go through life to remember where you came from and how you got there and it's important to thank them that brought ya. Call your mother, go visit as much as you can. An email is always great and I know she loves the photos, but your voice means a lot to her. BTW this also applies to your dad. He is also wanting to hear from you. Remember you take your son fishing to give him memories, you take your dad fishing to give you memories.



No comments: